Wednesday 1 June 2011

I believe that love is love is love.


Dear Andrew Leigh,
I have been trying to write this letter for a little while now. I am not sure why it took me so long. When I whittle away my meaningless excuses, of too little time, with too much to say, and get to the core of it, I think I realise.
Apathy – I am ashamed to say may have been a cause. Not because I don’t vehemently believe in what I have to say. But because I believe politicians don’t seem to hear anymore.
I know who it is easiest to listen to. Those who tell you that change is not necessary, possible or welcome. Those who think that all is equal, except those who are not like them. Those who believe that love can only be true if it is between a man and a woman. 
Today I watched a Facebook page grow from 1,000 people to well over 70,000. All of these people were campaigning against the homophobic complaints against a safe sex advertisement in Brisbane. 
I realized I can no longer indulge my apathy. I also realized that my voice is not alone, and I had a responsibility to make my voice heard.
So I am asking you to read these letters, and ask yourself what response, what reason can someone possibly offer against equality?

I believe in the intrinsic right of equality.
I believe that love is love is love. 
I believe that these voices are only going to grow louder.
I believe that change will come, and that you can help make it happen.
Yours, in affirmation,
Susannah Metherell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment