Wednesday 1 June 2011

The definition of marriage in the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth) is divisive and discriminatory

Dear Dr Leigh,

I am a twenty-two year old female student and I am enrolled to vote in your electorate.  As my elected representative, I am writing to ask you to advocate on my behalf for an amendment to the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth), to enable people in same-sex relationships to marry.

The definition of marriage inserted into the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth) in 2004 is divisive and discriminatory.  By defining marriage as that between a man and woman, the Act bestows, exclusively, a statutory right to marry on those who are in a heterosexual relationship.

In 2011, I find it incredulous that any Australian could be denied a public service, entitlement or right on the basis of any physical, behavioural or biological characteristic that they may possess.  This is the effect of s5(1) of the Marriage Act 1961 (Cth).  As a same-sex attracted person, I am denied the right to marry the person of my choice.

Ultimately, the issue of same-sex marriage is one of equality.  My heterosexual friends can marry, while I, as a member of the GLBTIQ community, cannot.  It would not be considered acceptable if the government prevented two people from marrying on the basis of their respective races, and it is not acceptable that two people are prevented from marrying each other on the basis of their gender.

In the past, I have lobbied politicians to recognize and uphold the rights of others.  I am now requesting that you do the same for me. 

Yours sincerely,

Laura Sweeney

No comments:

Post a Comment