Saturday 4 June 2011

Love shouldn't be judged.

 Dear Gai,

 I've been putting of writing this letter for a few days now, and I wasn't
 sure why. It isn't that I lack passion on the gay marriage issue, I just
 couldn't seem to find my words. Today, it hit me. The reason I've been
 putting it off is that the right for everyone (regardless of gender or
 sexual orientation) to marry just seems so basic and natural to me I can't
 imagine why anyone would think otherwise.
 I know that's not a really good reason for asking you to vote yes to gay
 marriage, but it is the right thing to do.

 I don't think it's fair to imply that one group of people is inferior to
 another. I think that by having seperate names and kinds of ceremonies for
 people based on who someone wants to marry it cultivates an attitude of
difference. It says that a consenting, adult in a heterosexual relationship
 is different from one in a homosexual relationship. Love shouldn't be
judged, it should be able to be celebrated with marriage by consenting
 couples regardless of how they identify.

 Regards,

 Marion Kruger

No comments:

Post a Comment