Tuesday 31 May 2011

Dr. Leigh, embrace this campaign and support marriage equality.

Dear Dr. Leigh,
Like many other Canberrans I am writing to you in the hopes of influencing your actions in regards to marriage equality, to encourage you to make the right choice.
I am a heterosexual currently in a relationship. If I choose to ask my girlfriend to marry me, she can choose to say yes or no. If she says yes, we can choose where to hold the ceremony: at a church, in a garden, this list goes on. We can choose to invite all of our friends and family to celebrate our love. We are then recognised as a married couple.
Dr. Leigh, you have a choice to make which affects more than you or your wife; you have a choice that affects the lives thousands of Australians.
My gay friends cannot make these choices, which so many Australians take for granted. You can choose to use your office to embrace political engagement from your constituency and to enact political change. I wish that this choice belonged to the people, and it can if you choose to let it.
Please, Dr. Leigh, embrace this campaign and support marriage equality.
Sincerely,
Nicholas Elmitt.

No comments:

Post a Comment