Sunday 29 May 2011

There is a life you can save.

Dear Dr Leigh,

You have no idea how happy it makes me feel to be writing you this letter as a resident of Canberra. I hail from the progressive paradise known as Kempsey, whose historical claim to fame includes a stop from the Freedom Ride bus in 1965 as well as being the birth place of none other than Slim Dusty (you know that bloke who loves to have a beer with Duncan?).

Growing up in Kempsey was not a great start for me. As the daughter of a preacher man, the student of a Christian school and a resident of a town that seemed devoid of any culture beyond pubs and churches, things were looking bleak. From a very young age I knew that I was attracted to girls, but I was also taught from a very young age that this was wrong. The only laws I knew was my fathers law and gods law, and they were one in the same. As the pastors daughter, not only was I constantly exposed to the hatred of LBGTIQ people, but I was expected to exemplify it. At first I thought I could teach myself not to be attracted to women. I kept a rubber band around my wrist, and every time I thought about a girl I pulled back that band and let it snap my wrist. This self corrective behaviour led to extremes of cutting and deprivation of food. By the time I was in my early teens, I no longer had an answer. I had lost my faith and everyone around me seemed to condemn me for what I was, and it was something I knew I couldn't change. In the darkest period of my life, I often contemplated suicide and would regard it as my solace. But then something happened.

In some ways, it is fair to say that a google search saved my life. In late 2004 I became aware of the legislative changes made by the Stanhope government in the ACT and it was this discovery that gave me hope. For the first time I was exposed to people advocating for me, and politics became my new law. Politicians were my champions and Canberra became my oasis. I told myself that I could hold on for a few more years and make it to a place where I would have no fear to hold a girls hand, or ask a girl out on a date. I am now here in Canberra with no fear and writing to you Dr. Leigh to tell you that I have faith in you. I have faith that you will put Equal Marriage on the agenda for Labor and I have faith that you will do whatever you can to make Australia a safe place for LBGTIQ kids. When you think about it Dr. Leigh, if gay marriage was legalised in Australia, it would not kill anyone who is opposed to it. However if equal marriage is kept off the agenda and not being talked about by our politicians, it may very well kill a LBGTIQ kid from Kempsey.

I believe that you will do the right thing,

From your proud and hopeful constituent,

Renee Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment