Friday 27 May 2011

Will you be that MP?


28 May 2011
Dear Ms Brodtmann,
I am a voter in your electorate and I'm writing to ask you to support marriage equality. Frankly, I'm disappointed by what I've seen so far.
I was raised in the outer-suburbs of Melbourne and spent the last 3 years in Canberra. I went to school at a private religious college – where I met my future boyfriend. We have now been partners for 8 years. In that time we have seen friends, colleagues and relatives get married. We have been to their weddings. But we are continually reminded that we are somehow "different" by the fact that we can't get married ourselves. I don't expect you to understand how that feels, but I would like you to try.
We have the full support of both families and we attend family occasions together. And our families are not unusual. A Galaxy poll last year found 62% of Australians support marriage equality. My 84 year old grandmother passionately supports my right to marry, while our prime minister does not. 
I was troubled recently to learn that Joe de Bruyn of the SDA union believes that marriage equality will lead to "social collapse". But more disturbing is the fact that he virtually controls Labor party policy through his powerful factional position and his seat on the federal executive. As far as marriage policy goes, it seems that Joe de Bruyn is the face of today's Labor Party.
The ACT is a socially progressive place – it is easy to support issues like marriage equality. There is no political "risk"; in fact, there's a good chance of gaining support. Jon Stanhope fought for civil unions. Andrew Leigh and several other MPs have publicly supported marriage equality. But you have not. I have heard nothing from you, so I assume that you support ALP policy: that marriage is "between a man and a woman". 
I cannot vote for a candidate who upholds such an abhorrent policy. 
I do not accept the excuse that some MPs are working "behind the scenes" to advance marriage equality within their party. Firstly, how are we as voters to know? Secondly, are they saying one thing to us and another to the party? And thirdly, why not make it public? We need MPs who are willing to make their case, strongly and persuasively, to the voting public – that is the way to achieve lasting change.
Some say that marriage is a religious institution and that churches only recognise heterosexual marriage. Both claims are false. Marriage is a social and legal institution, quite apart from the religious institution. Churches can refuse to perform certain marriages and that is their choice. But our secular laws should provide equal opportunity to everyone, including the opportunity to marry. Moreover, there are churches who want to perform same-sex marriages, such as the Canberra Quakers. What about their religious freedom?
Are civil unions are the answer? No. I am against civil unions at a national level. We don't need one system for gays and one for straights; it only reinforces difference. Civil unions satisfy no-one. Besides, there is already majority support for marriage equality. I would rather have nothing than civil unions.
The Labor Party is rapidly losing their socially-progressive base. The Greens will have 10 senators from July and one lower house MP. The Labor Party's trenchant support for discriminatory marriage laws is bleeding votes to the Greens. 
But this is not just about politics. It's about values and what's right. Everyone deserves the chance to marry the person they love. It's about equality, inclusion and love. What is so threatening about these?
I want an MP who will show some leadership. I want an MP who does not just toe a party line. I want an MP who understands our aspiration to get married. Will you be that MP?
Yours Sincerely,
John Kloprogge

No comments:

Post a Comment